Monday, February 12, 2007

Rescued (My Psalm)

RESCUED (My Psalm)
When I, in lost confusion, had wandered far from You
When death and destruction came suddenly upon my house
When the enemy of my soul held me dangling
Above a black pit of insanity, agony and despair
When all seemed lost and the enemy roared with laughter
And pierced my soul with a sword of horror
Causing me to cry out like a wounded animal
And all of his minions moved in for the kill
For I, oh Lord, had wandered so far into the wasteland
They were convinced that You had turned Your face from me
They rejoiced that I was utterly alone and helpless
In that moment I did not even think to cry out to You!
The Pit beckoned me
It seemed my natural home
My enemies laughed and prodded me to jump, to fall
I was willing
It seemed right
But You, my Lord, had other plans!
Suddenly, in the midst of my enemies
I felt strong arms encircle me
I struggled then, but You would not let go
You turned me around and hid my eyes against Your chest
I tried to turn back to the Pit, it beckoned
But You would not let me look there again
You gently held my face against Your heart
You whispered in my ear
"I am here!
Even though you wandered so far away,
I have always been with you
Even though you are not even sure you believe in Me,
Yet I am here!
Even though you are too wounded to want my help,
I am here!
For you are Mine
Your need cried out to Me and I flew to rescue
And to restore you, My love"
You amazed and perplexed my enemies
They could not fathom such love
It seemed foolishness to them
Yet it terrified them!
They scattered far away
Darkness dispelled by Beautiful Light
You took me to a lonely place
You gently tended to all of my wounds
You provided for all of my needs
And spoke love words to my broken heart
You overcame my reluctance with Your patient strength
You seduced my heart with Your unchanging beauty
Who am I to deserve such treatment?
Yet, when I try to speak of the past
When, in light of Your great Love,
My past wandering seems ever more terrible to me
You still my lips with a gentle finger
You gently and firmly kiss my forehead and whisper
"Hush My love, it is finished"
And You gently turn my face toward a future
Immersed in You

No comments: